Jared N. Klein is a veteran land use, real estate and zoning attorney who joined Orphanides & Toner in 2016.
Over the last decade, Jared has represented some of the City’s leading educational institutions, businesses and individuals in matters involving real estate, commercial transactions and business litigation.
In the last three years alone, Jared has successfully litigated three cases that established binding precedent throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Those cases:
- Scott v. City of Philadelphia, Zoning Bd. of Adjustment, 126 A.3d 938 (Pa. 2015) (establishing that a developer's first opportunity to challenge standing of objector before board was when objector took appeal to trial court, rather than when objector appeared before board)
- Schwartz v. Philadelphia Zoning Bd. of Adjustment, 126 A.3d 1032 (Pa.Cmwlth.2015) (upholding the Constitutionality of Philadelphia’s zoning code provision defining “family”)
- ISN Bank v. Rajaratnam, 83 A.3d 170 (Pa.Super.2013) (holding that separate actions by husband and wife, in which each agreed to personally guarantee loan, and that resulted in separate judgments against husband and wife, were insufficient to establish a joint debt that could have served as the basis for a lien on husband and wife's entireties property.
Prior to joining Orphanides & Toner, LLP, Jared was an associate in the litigation departments of Dechert LLP and Pepper Hamilton LLP, and developed his real estate practice at McElhatton Foley P.C. and his own firm, the Law Offices of Jared N. Klein. His practice includes the representation of businesses and individuals in real estate, zoning and land use issues, commercial matters and business litigation. In addition, Jared utilizes his depth of real estate experience and creative problem solving skills to serve as general counsel to several development and holding companies, providing a full range of license, permitting and general business counseling.
Jared's accomplishments have been recognized by his inclusion since 2013 on the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars list.
Jared resides in South Philadelphia.
Bar and Court Admissions
Pennsylvania & New Jersey (2004); United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (2004).
Johns Hopkins University – B.A., 2001
Temple Law School – J.D., 2004
Professional and Community Organizations
- President - Passyunk Square Civic Association - 2016 - 2017
- Vice President and Zoning Chair – Passyunk Square Civic Association 2013-2015
- Past Member – Board and Executive Committee for Center City Residents’ Assocation